Talk: The revolution will not be televised! (But will it be on YouTube?)Human Rights and Digital Freedoms
- Sunday 13th of November, 2011
The presentation will look at the ongoing wave of popular uprisings in the Middle East and Northern Africa from a digital activism perspective.
Beyond the obviously false cliche of a "Twitter revolution" - what was/is the real role of Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube in the protest movement? What are the possibilities of these new tools, what are their limitations, what are their dangers? How do activists deal with censorship, blocking, online surveillance? I will try to shed some light on these questions based on my recent travels to some of the affected parts of the world.
- 12:00 - 12:45 Talk: Panel discussion - Accessibility and Technology
- 12:00 - 12:45 Talk: Free software feminism
- 12:00 - 12:45 Talk: Guile: Free Software Means of Production
Next (up to 3) talks in the same room (1):
- 14:00 - 15:00 Keynote: Hackers for Social Justice
- 15:15 - 16:00 Talk: STEED - Saddle up for instant encryption
- 16:15 - 17:00 Talk: Adventures in Participatory Nation-Building
Events that start after this one (within 30 minutes):
- 12:45 - 14:00 Other: Sunday's lunch