Keynote: Weapons of the Geek
- Saturday 10th of November, 2012
- Room 1
What are the different elements – legal, ethical, and aesthetic – that have fed into the stellar success of the free and open source software movement? In this talk, drawing on material from my forthcoming book, I will discuss the unique elements within F/OSS that constitute it as a site of political action, and contextualize free software within a wider field of geek and hacker politics. I will conclude by marshaling this material to critically assess the concept of Web 2.0, which has so powerfully structured understandings of the politics and power of digital media.
- Sorry, no session in this list!
Next (up to 3) talks in the same room (Room 1):
- 15:15 - 16:00 Talk: Open animation projects: state of the art, problems and perspectives
- 16:15 - 17:00 Talk: TheyDontWantYou.To
- 17:15 - 18:00 Talk: Dirty tactics against LibreOffice in public administration and how to overcome them